All 53 crew members of the submarine went missing last week off the northern coast of Bali, killed, Indonesian authorities said on Sunday.
The location of the Indonesian submarine is believed to have crashed. – Photo: Indonesian navy
The military said the KRI Nanggala 402 submarine was likely to have been broken in three. Search and rescue teams on Sunday morning found large debris – including the submarine’s broken main body at a depth of 838 meters, not far from where it was believed to have sunk.
“We have confirmed pictures as parts of the KRI Nanggala 402. Based on this authentic evidence, we can say that the KRI Nanggala 402 has sunk and all members on board are was sacrificed, ”said Commander of the Indonesian Army (TNI) Hadi Tjahjanto during a press conference Sunday afternoon.
“On behalf of all the soldiers and families of TNI, I… give my deepest condolences. We hope we can all continue to serve as an exemplary TNI’s best soldiers. ”
Indonesia will coordinate with the International Submarine Escape and Rescue Liaison Office to attempt to salvage submarines and the remains of crew members, the military chief added.
Navy Chief of Staff Yudo Margono said the navy’s multipurpose research ship, KRI Rigel, had found images of what might look like submarine debris using a reflex sound device. multi-ray.
The chief of the navy added that an investigation into the cause of the crash would have to wait until the wreck was lifted. But he also does not think this is human error.
“We have judged and made sure it is not human error but natural cause,” he said.
However, since the aforementioned equipment cannot go lower than 800m, the search effort will be continued by Singapore’s MV Swift Rescue. The ship also operated a remote underwater vehicle and confirmed the debris belonged to the submarine.
“The KRI Nanggala is broken in three parts,” Margono said.
The submarine disappeared early on Wednesday (April 21) while conducting a torpedo shooting exercise. The last signal detected from the ill-fated ship was from a depth of 850 meters, which exceeded its dive limit.
Last contact with the Nanggala train was at 4:00 am on Wednesday.
The German-built submarine has been in service since 1981 and underwent a comprehensive refurbishment in Korea, completed in 2012.
The Indonesian navy said the submarine was “in good condition”, but some local observers said poor maintenance of old Indonesian military equipment could be a contributing factor. .