Israel Defense Forces (IDF) international spokesman Jonathan Conricus argued on “Fox and Friends Weekend” on Sunday that none of the recent violence in the Middle East “would have been possible without Iranian knowledge, funding, expertise and hands on involvement on the ground.”
“It’s very clear, Iranian fingerprints are all over the situation in terms of money, knowledge, personnel and energy spent,” Conricus told host Pete Hegseth.
He added that “when the most important countries around the world are thinking about negotiating with Iran, people need to remember [that] the Iranians are the number one exporters of instability and terror and death and destruction in the Middle East and they should be addressed and held accountable as such.”
Israel, late last week, announced that it had come to a cease-fire agreement with Hamas that put an end to 11 days of fighting in which Hamas fired thousands of rockets at Israeli civilian targets, to which Israel responded with airstrikes.
“Iranian specialists, engineers and people who deal in rocketry and explosives have been educating and telling Hamas engineers how to produce rockets, how to manufacture their own weapons,” Conricus argued on Sunday. “Had it not been for that very specific and detailed Iranian intervention, we wouldn’t have been in the situation now.”
He also explained that the IDF focused on degrading “these capabilities, both in terms of the locations where they produce the weapons, the rockets and also in terms of the key personnel, the terrorists, the engineers that are behind all of these rockets that have been fired throughout Israel.”
On Saturday, the first day of the ceasefire, hundreds of Hamas fighters marched through the streets of Gaza with assault rifles in hand, declaring victory over Israel.
This comes as no surprise, said Mr. Conricus.
“We knew from the very first day of the battle that no matter how hard we hit Hamas, in the end, like all terrorists, they would claim victory, but I don’t think that’s the case. really] is how they feel today,” Mr. Conricus told host Hegseth.
“I think that perhaps the senior leaders of Hamas will have to calculate, consider a lot of things, because now they come up from the tunnel they have been hiding in for the past 11 days and meet the people they have to face. responsible. They have seen the extent of the devastation to military infrastructure … and have to face the anger of the people about what has happened in the Gaza Strip, and what they have done to Gaza,” he said. .
He added, “I think next time we will see how Hamas and other terrorists suffer and suffer casualties. In our estimation, that’s not a small number, we think a lot of terrorists are dead.”
The fighting left more than 200 people dead, mostly in Gaza.
Palestinian officials estimate reconstruction will cost tens of millions of dollars, Reuters reported, adding that economists said the fighting may have hampered Israel’s economic recovery from the pandemic. COVID-19.
It is unclear how long the ceasefire could last, with both sides saying they will only cease fire as long as the other can. Israel’s offensive and defensive capabilities are still in a solid state. And Hamas is said to still boast thousands of rockets in its arsenals in Gaza.
Speaking from Tel Aviv, Mr. Conricus delivered this message to Americans on Sunday: “Don’t praise Hamas. Don’t be confused by what happened on the battlefield. Who started this? And let’s not forget which country is a democracy, which is fighting against an evil jihadist terrorist organization. And let’s not forget who is intentionally shooting at civilians, all of those bad things are done by Hamas.”
“We are defending ourselves,” Mr. Conricus insisted. “We’re using the latest and greatest American weapons to do that, and we’re delighted with our ability to target those terrorists.”